Governor Scott Announces U.S. Supreme Court Agrees to Take Up Water Wars Case

Nov. 4, 2014

 

Today, Governor Rick Scott announced that the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to take up Florida’s lawsuit regarding Georgia’s overconsumption of waters that is impacting the Apalachicola Bay region. To view Florida’s lawsuit,click HERE.

Governor Scott said, “This is huge news and a major victory for Florida, and marks the first of many important victories for the families and businesses of Apalachicola. We took bold action last year to protect the waters of Apalachicola from Georgia’s unchecked use of these critical resources. For 20 years, Florida has tried to work with Georgia, and families have continued to see their fisheries suffer from the lack of water. The Supreme Court takes up so few cases, and their willingness to hear Florida’s demonstrates the merits of our case before the court. We are fighting for the future of this region, and we won’t quit until these resources are restored.”

Attorney General Pam Bondi said, “We are pleased with the United States Supreme Court’s decision to grant Florida’s motion and to allow the lawsuit against Georgia to move forward. Georgia has delayed long enough, and this lawsuit is essential to protect Florida from the environmental and economic harms caused by Georgia’s overconsumption of water. We look forward to continuing our fight to protect Florida’s fair share of water in the United States Supreme Court.”

The Governor announced last year that the state of Florida would file suit against Georgia. To view last year’s announcement, click HERE.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: